Skip to content Skip to navigation

Masters Admissions FAQ

The Department of Chemical Engineering will only offer external applicants admission into our HCP MS Program.

HCP Master's Admissions Frequently Asked Questions


Can HCP MS students apply for the Knight-Hennessy Scholars Program?

No; Knight-Hennessy is for full-time students only. The HCP MS program only allows for part-time enrollment.

What are the application deadlines?

For our MS program, applications and supporting documentation from external applicants are accepted on a rolling basis for autumn, winter, and spring start. See the HCP Admissions Overview page for the dates when the application will open and close for each quarter.  Offers of admission are valid for one calendar year. Those wishing to apply at a later time must obtain departmental approval in advance.

My official transcripts and/or official test scores will not arrive by the application deadline! Can I still apply?

Yes, you may still apply. You should upload your unofficial transcripts and request official copies be sent to the department as soon as possible. You should take your ETS tests and request that scores be submitted to Stanford as well. Your application will not be considered complete until your official transcripts and test scores arrive. We will contact otherwise competitive applicants with incomplete applications for follow-up. Be sure your e-email address and telephone number are correct. Official transcripts can be received anytime. If they are received before your application, they will be matched with your application following the application close date. Your application is not considered complete until both your official transcripts and your official scores have been received.

Are TOEFL scores required for admission?

In general, yes, if your first language is not English. On your application, self-report both your ETS scores and percentages. The Graduate Admissions website has further details about the university-wide test requirements and exceptions. Any request for a TOEFL waiver must to directed to central Graduate Admissions. Individual academic departments may not approve requests for waivers.  In general, there is a high expectation for English language fluency in both formal use and informal interactions, in written and oral situations. One of the key goals of our educational programs is the further development of communication skills in English and ongoing opportunities are built into the curriculum.

I am an international student but did my Master’s or Bachelor’s at a US (or country in which instruction is provide in English) Institution. Do I still need to take the TOEFL?

TOEFL scores are required of all applicants whose first language is not English. Exemptions are granted to applicants who have earned a US bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting association in the United States, or the international equivalent degree from a university of recognized standing in a country in which all instruction is provide in English (Australia, Canada except Quebec, New Zealand, Singapore, and the UK. Stanford does not accept IELTS scores.

Can I visit the department?

You may visit Stanford at any time. 

Are GRE scores required for admission?

Yes, scores must be from a general test within the past five years. There is no minimum GRE score requirement. All components of your application are evaluated by the Graduate Admissions Committee. Admission decisions are based on the aggregate of various factors, including your statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, transcripts and test scores

Do you require GRE subject tests? 

No. For our chemical engineering graduate programs, it is not recommended that you take a subject test.

What are my chances of getting financial aid?

The department is unable to offer financial aid to MS students.

Where do I send the supplemental materials for my application?

Official transcripts may be sent electronically or physically.

Electronic transcripts may be sent from universities to CHEMICALENGINEERING@STANFORD.EDU

Original physical transcripts (two sets) and any other items should be sent directly to the department:

Mail and courier address:

MS Graduate Admissions, Chemical Engineering

443 Via Ortega, Suite 129

Stanford, CA 94305-4125


What materials must be included with my application?

There are four major components required to complete a graduate application file:

  1. The application itself with its statement of purpose
  2. Three or more letters of recommendation
  3. ETS scores and percentages, both officially sent by ETS to Stanford and unofficially self-reported on the application
  4. Official transcripts, one (set) uploaded into the application and two (sets) sent to the department.

When will I find out about the decision on my application?

All applicants must maintain current and correct email addresses so we can communicate with you via email. MS applicants can expect to hear from us by the end of two months after the application deadline. MS decisions will be communicated to all applicants, in writing, via email.