Chemical Engineering Faculty Research
The following achievements have been made in the field of Chemical Engineering by researchers at Stanford and beyond:
- Development of materials for green energy technologies, including solar cells, batteries, and catalysts for chemical conversion.
- Design and synthesis of next generation flexible and stretchable electronics for wearable and implantable electronics, chemical sensors, and robotics.
- Production of life-saving antibiotics such as penicillin and vaccines for diseases from polio to COVID-19.
- Establishment of mass-production technologies (including cell-free and plant-based synthesis) of protein therapeutics such as insulin, human growth-hormone, and monoclonal antibodies.
- Discovery of nitrogen-fixing fertilizers and water-purification technologies that revolutionize food production and stem world hunger.
- Revolutionized manufacturing by developing 3D printing materials and technologies.
- Engineering plants to make them more nutritious, weather resistance or to produce useful chemicals.
- Characterization of the physical properties of living systems, providing targeted treatment of bacterial infection in cancer tissue and implanted devices, chronic dry eye, and COVID-19.
- Waste water treatment and recovery of valuable products.
Research & Training Centers
The research groups within our department benefit from the unique research environment at Stanford University. Our faculty are associated with a number of Research and Training Centers at Stanford University that provide experimental facilities as well as training opportunities.
Bio-X | Institute for Biosciences
Cancer Institute | SoM
Cardiovascular Institute | SoM
ChEM-H | Chemistry, Engineering & Medicine for Human Health
Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence Institute
ICME | Institute for Computational & Mathematical Engineering
Maternal & Child Health Research Institute | SoM
NIH Graduate Training Program in Biotechnology
Precourt Institute for Energy
Stanford Wearable Electronics Initiative (eWEAR)
SUNCAT | Center for Interface Science and Catalysis
TomKat | Center for Sustainable Energy
Woods Institute for the Environment
Wu Tsai Neurosciences Institute